Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Leslie - Race

It was a ride filled with chromatic energy in the fall of ‘06 during the Great Pumpkin Regatta that hooked me. Watching my son, Sam, squeal with delight in lieu of terror as the Express 37 we were on sailed on a steep heel passed Alcatraz, Bill’s outstretched body and swoosh of a net as he captured an orange-hued vegetable aboard to roaring cheers; the swift, yet calm and steady nature of the captain was an experience I will never forget. It seemed like a formula for magic was present. I wanted it. What I have come to hypothesize as a result of problems explored on shore and at sea, is the formula seems derived from the capacity of those aboard to stay connected and learn from each other. There is nowhere else to turn. I am profoundly grateful Sandy and Dave Englehart are giving me a chance to further explore my understandings and passion for sailing. Appreciations for high expectations, encouragement and unrelenting coaching to improve my skills and drive, goes to all those that crew (ranging in age from 8 to…?) Golden Moon. You know who you are. Thanks, also, to Fred & Fred, Mary Swift, and Robert – for helping me see what I can’t. I feel content among good teachers.

Good teachers possess a capacity for connectedness. They are able to weave a complex web of connections…. The methods used by these weavers vary widely: lectures, Socratic dialogues, laboratory experiments, collaborative problem-solving, creative chaos. The connections made by good teachers are held not in their methods but in their hearts-.

The Courage to Teach
Parker J. Palmer

I look forward to embarking on a passage full of experiences yet to be revealed. I have no idea how lucky I am.

No comments: